Why you should monitor children’s Internet use
The internet is changing the world; the way we learn, shop for groceries, keep in touch with loved ones and even the way we parent. A home computer with broadband internet access can be an amazing tool and benefit everyone in the home – allowing us to learn more, save time, and stay organized. However, it can also open a dangerous door to inappropriate influences, unauthorized purchases, and harmful viruses. The world is at our children’s fingertips when they access the internet and as concerned parents, we have to teach our children how to properly use the internet while protecting them from its hidden dangers.
“The determining factor is what the children actually DO on the computer.”
Researchers have proved that home computers can both improve and AND degrade children’s academic performance. The determining factor is what the children actually DO on the computer. That is why it is so important to monitor children’s internet use. Children that are monitored and required to use the computer for academic purposes excel, while those students without parental control experience a decline in academic performance. It’s not brain science – simply placing a computer in the home does not guarantee academic achievement. Teaching a child how to properly use the internet, as with all aspects of parenting, requires our presence and involvement to guide our children in a positive direction.
Here are a few simple tips, as well as an extremely helpful ‘Parent – Child Internet Use Contract’ to make sure your child is gaining all of the benefits of the Internet without falling prey to its negative possibilities:
- Use the internet with your child from time to time. Learn what their favorite websites are and why – be interested!
- Consider placing your home computer(s) in a public place – not in a child’s room so that you can monitor children’s internet use.
- Ask your child if they have questions about websites and search terms, find out if anything has ever scared them or made them uncomfortable.
- Download the HomeConnex ‘Parent – Child Internet Use Contract’ and discuss it with your child. Sign it together and post it prominently – like on the refrigerator.
- Consider filtering software or router policies to create a safe environment for internet use in your home.
How does your family ensure safe use of the Internet? We’d love to know! Leave a comment below or feel free to send us your questions!
HomeConnex is the world’s first family-focused home technology assistance company. We strive to help families experience all of the benefits technology has to offer in a safe and responsible manner.
- What is home tech support anyway? - August 3, 2015
- Controlling screen time for kids – why it’s important - July 6, 2015
- Family night ideas from HomeConnex - June 28, 2015
- Gaming websites – today’s covert toy commercials - June 18, 2015
- Why you should monitor children’s Internet use - June 11, 2015